Resources for students in dental programs
- Books and audiovisual materials
- Electronic reference
- Finding articles
- Current journals
- Web sites
- DANB exam recommended review materials
- Additional DANB prep and practice tests
- Guide to printed materials
Use the Library Search to find books. Limit your search to books by selecting the Books resource type under Refine My Results. Chemeketa books will show as Available, with a green disc indicator, followed by the location and call number.
You may have to do several searches to find books that might be pertinent to your subject.
Books not owned by Chemeketa may be requested through Summit or via interlibrary loan.
Chemeketa students registered for credit may request Summit books from other Orbis Cascade Alliance libraries. The Orbis Cascade Alliance is made up of 37 member libraries in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho. Authorized users have access to all of the material in the Chemeketa Community College library, plus about 28 million items in Summit.
Here are indexes that cover dental journals in Chemeketa's library. No one index covers every journal, so if you do not find what you need in one, try another.
You can do simple keyword searches in CINAHL, but if you'd like to learn how to use CINAHL headings, there is a tutorial on CINAHL at How To Use CINAHL.
Some of Chemeketa's dental journals are available in paper in the periodicals section of the library. They are shelved alphabetically by title:
- Dental Assistant: Journal Of The American Dental Assistants Association - 2002 - present
- Dental Clinics of North America - Jan. 2004 - Jan. 2010
- Journal of the American Dental Association - current 6 years
Chemeketa has Dental Assistant online and in paper. It is indexed in both CINAHL and MEDLINE
Many of Chemeketa's dental journals are online; they are linked in the list of subjects below.
See also Anesthesiology.
Chemeketa has older issues of some specialist journals you may browse. They are shelved alphabetically in the Periodicals section of the libary.
- American journal of orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics
- Journal of endodontics
- Journal of dentistry for children
Image Quest is a Britannica database that has millions of images, including images of dental equipment, oral conditions, and procedures.
You may find the following Web sites useful:
- America's Career Infonet - ACI
- An excellent information source from the Department of Labor. Click on "Occupation Information" to search in the Occupation Profile for an occupation. The resulting reports will include both national information and that for your chosen state. Rankings for all states are available. Links take you to other types of occupational information, such as skills, education needed, industry trends, and other information on the Web. Includes RealPlayer video descriptions of jobs.
- Database of reliable online health publications, clearinghouses, Web sites, self-help groups, government agencies, academic centers and nonprofit agencies. Includes a wide variety of consumer health information.
- A good source for one-stop shopping on medical and dental topics. It has a large number carefully-selected information sources grouped together. In addition to MEDLINE, (the National Library of Medicine index to medical journals), there are dictionaries, directories, databases, links to clearinghouses, organizations, and libraries.
- Occupation Information Center (Oregon Labor Market Information System)
- Career information tailored to the state of Oregon. Type in a job title or browse job titles by category to find information on occupations, including job description, wages, outlook, skills, current job openings, educational requirements, sources of training, and links to occupations with similar skills. The parent site, OLMIS, also has lots of additional information on careers, employment, and industry outlook in Oregon.
These are online resources recommended by the Dental Assisting National Board.
See also Print Resources.
• Infection control
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2003). Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health Care Settings (RR-17). MMWR Recommendations and Reports, 52, 1-61. Also available at the CDC Oral Health site.
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2010). Infection control in dental settings.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Office of Enterprise Communication. (2002). Hand Hygiene Guidelines Fact Sheet.
- U.S. Department of Labor. Office of Health Compliance Assistance. (Updated Feb. 1, 2002). OSHA Hazard Communication Standard. 29 CFR 1910.
- U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. (2000). Hazard Communication Guidelines for Compliance (OSHA Publication 3111). Washington, DC: Superintendent of Documents.
- U.S. Federal Government. (Updated February 2, 2002). Occupational Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens; Final Rule. 129 CFR 1910.1030
- U.S. Public Health Service. (1998, May 15). Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Health-Care Worker Exposures to HIV and Recommendations for Postexposure Prophylaxis (RR-7). MMWR Recommendations and Reports, 47. (Updated guidelines available)
- U.S. Department of Labor. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Bloodborne Pathogens and Needlestick Prevention.
The LearningExpress 3.0 database now has preparation for the DANB exam, with review material and practice tests. You must register for a free account in order to use the database.
There is a guide to Print Resources for dental studies.
To comment or request help, please e-mail Reference or call 503.399.5231.
Address of this page: http://library.chemeketa.edu/information/virtual/dental.php
Updated: 19 December 2014