Resources for students in the nursing program
This is a sampling of books from our reference collection that may be helpful. If you are off campus you will need your My Chemeketa user name and six-digit password.
- The Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine
- Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine
- Gale Encyclopedia of Nursing And Allied Health
- Magill's Medical Guide (Salem Health)
- Dictionary of Nursing
- Oxford Concise Medical Dictionary
- The Oxford Companion to Medicine
- Oxford Companion to the Body
The most important index to journals and other materials for nursing and allied health is CINAHL, the Cumulated Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature. CINAHL is accessed through EBSCOhost.
Use the library's database page or go directly to: http://proxy.chemeketa.edu:2048/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.asp?profile=cin. CINAHL indexes over 1,200 nursing and allied health periodicals. To access new articles not yet included in the CINAHL database, use Pre-CINAHL by clicking on the "Choose Databases" tab at the top of the CINAHL screen. Pre-CINAHL has keyword searching only.
If you are accessing CINAHL from off-campus, you will need your My Chemeketa user name and password.
The tutorials available here will guide you through the process of:
- using the CINAHL headings
- refining your search
- interpreting the results.
If you already have some familiarity with the database, and can access it and interpret results, you may wish to concentrate on just the CINAHL headings and on refining the search.
The search process described in the tutorials below below will work for anybody, but the instructions have been optimized for Chemeketa Community College nursing students, to supply the skills needed to find appropriate articles that fit the criteria of the program.
The audiovisual Breeze tutorials in the list below are best suited to broadband connections. If you are using a dialup connection, you may wish to use the page How To Get Started Using CINAHL Effectively, where the same information is covered in a handout. Be sure to look at the "Frequently asked questions" section for important information.
- Using the CINAHL headings (4 minutes, 15 seconds) shows step by step how to use the CINAHL Headings to conduct a powerful, focused search in the Cumulated Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature.
- Refining your CINAHL search (5 megabytes, 4 minutes, 57 seconds) This presentation teaches how to limit a search in the Cumulated Indes to Nursing and Allied Health Literature, finding only articles that have references in Chemeketa nursing journals.
- Interpreting search results in CINAHL - (7 megabytes, 5 minutes, 58 seconds) This tutorial teaches how to interpret search results in the Cumulated Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature, and how to obtain articles.
The library also offers a short video on How to search in CINAHL for evidence-based articles.
Use the library's database page or go directly to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?myncbishare=orcccllib&holding=orcccllib in order to be able to filter the results by Chemeketa-held journals.
These brief videos should provide a refresher on using the MEDLINE databases to find evidence-based articles —
- How to search in MEDLINE for evidence-based articles
- How to use the MeSH browser to find MEDLINE headings
Chemeketa subscribes to many nursing journals. Some paper subscriptions have now been converted to electronic journals. Articles indexed in CINAHL (the Cumulated Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature) have links to the full text of articles.
Some paper journals (those not on 4-hour reserve) can be requested through the catalog and sent to your local public library (See below).
To make things a little easier, here are some lists:
- "Approved" nursing journals in the library
- Paper nursing journals you can request through the Chemeketa catalog (also "approved")
- All nursing journals in electronic form (Not all of the 200+ journals in this list are published in the United States)
Chemeketa subscribes to over 40 nursing journals in electronic form on Ovid Nursing Full Text. You can access articles through CINAHL, or go directly to the journal from the list below. Off campus users will need their My Chemeketa user name and password.
Chemeketa subscribes to approximately 900 journals the Health Sciences Collection on ScienceDirect College Edition.
- American Journal of Infection Control
- Applied Nursing Research
- Archives of Psychiatric Nursing
- Disaster Management & response (was International Journal of Trauma Nursing)
- Geriatric Nursing
- Heart & Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care
- Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- Journal of Emergency Nursing
- Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health (was Journal of Nurse-Midwifery)
- Journal for Nurse Practitioners
- Journal of Pediatric Health Care
- Journal of Pediatric Nursing
- Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing
- Journal of Professional Nursing
- Journal of Radiology Nursing
- Journal of Vascular Nursing
- Newborn and Infant Nursing Rreviews
- Nurse Leader
- Nursing Outlook
- Pain Management Nursing
- Seminars in Oncology Nursing
Chemeketa's library has many books on nursing and related topics. Use the library catalog to search for books.
To search for e-books only, use this form:
If you are accessing e-books from off campus, you will need your MyChemeketa user name and six-digit password as a login.
Learning Express is a database that includes, tutorials and test preparation materials. It includes nursing school exam prep and career guidance (in the Allied Health section of Jobs and Careers). You can log into Learning express through Chemeketa, through your public library in the CCRLS district (in Marion, Polk, and Yamhill counties), or through another library in Oregon. You must create a free account the first time you log in. Learning Express is provided by the Oregon State Library.
The library has a quick guide to research for evidence-based practice for students in clinical.
The librarians are happy to assist you.
- Questions about your account: (checked out materials, obtaining a barcode, overdues, etc.) - Please call Circulation at 503.399.5043 or email Circulation.
- Questions about finding information or resources: - Get in touch with Reference.
To comment or request help, please e-mail Reference or call 503.399.5231.
Address of this page: http://library.chemeketa.edu/information/virtual/nursing.php
Updated 9 January 2014