The call numbers given below are from Chemeketa Community College Library, but you may find these books in other libraries as well. Call numbers starting with "R" are shelved in the Reference area.
- Occupational outlook handbook [R 331.702 Un3]
- The standard source for information on occupations in the United States. It includes information on the nature of the work, working conditions, how many persons are employed at that job, what sort of education or training is needed, the job outlook, earnings, and sources of additional information. The Occupational Outlook Handbook is also available online at http://www.bls.gov/oco/
- Career information center [R 331.702 C182]
- Thirteen volumes are arranged by general occupational areas, such as health, transportation, or recreation, so that one can browse through all the careers in that area. Each volume has an index, and there is a general index in volume 13.
The Career Information System is an online version of the same kind of information. You can reach it by logging into My Chemeketa and clicking on "My Game Plan," then on "Career Exploration. The "Explore Occupations" link takes you into Career Information System.
- Encyclopedia of careers and vocational guidance [R 331.702 En1]
- A four-volume set with an index in volume 4. Like the Career Information Center, this book offers a larger number of job titles than Occupational Outlook Handbook.
- Dictionary of art [R 703 D56]
- Despite the name, this is a 34-volume encyclopedia. The index is in the last volume.
Encyclopedia of Artists [R 709.22 En1]
- Volume 6 includes art movements with key artists. Volumes 1-5 include biographies with key works.
- Encyclopedia of world art [R 703 M17]
- This encyclopedia indexes individual works of art in the index (Vol. 17).
Using the Catalog
To find other books and audio-visual materials, use the library catalog at http://library.chemeketa.edu/information/cataloghome.php. The catalog can search the collections at Chemeketa, 17 public libraries in Polk, Marion, and Yamhill counties, and many college and university libraries in Oregon and Washington.
Exploring careers in periodicals
Browsing or "What's Available?"
From the library's journal lists page at http://library.chemeketa.edu/information/journals.php click on Electronic Journals. Change the search to "Title contains all words" and enter a word or phrase to describe your topic, for example "design." The results will include a list of periodicals available in full text. Articles can be read online, printed, or e-mailed.
Searching for a Topic
From the library's homepage at http://library.chemeketa.edu click on Articles & Databases. Choose the database you would like to search in. For this class, try using Academic OneFile.
What was happening politically, socially & culturally 100, 500 or 1000 years ago? Check in a chronology. Most of the library's chronologies are in the Reference collection.
- Cassell's Chronology of World History [R 902.2 C27]
- This chronology is broken down into themes such as "Castle and Cathedral" and "An American Civilization." Within those themes, historical events are broken down by year, location, arts & humanities and science & technology.
Chronology of World History [R 902.02 M48]
- A multi-volume, easy to use chronology organized by year and broken down in to categories including Arts and Ideas, Society, Science, Technology and Medicine.
- The Timetables of History [R 902.02 G92]
- Organized in a grid, this chronology starts at 5000 BCE and covers history, politics, literature, theater, visual arts, music, science, technology and daily life.
For more information about citing articles from electronic databases such as Academic OneFile, check Citing Articles from Online Databases.
To comment or request help, please e-mail Reference or call 503.399.5231.
Address of this page: http://library.chemeketa.edu/instruction/handouts/VC111.php
Updated: 23 Nov. 2011