- Reference books
- Find more books
- Article databases
- Journals in Chemeketa's library
Books marked REF are found in the library (Building 9, second floor) under the call numbers shown. Reference books are shelved near the library entrance.
To access books marked online, just click on the title. You will need your My Chemeketa user name and password as a login.
- Encyclopedia of addictions [online]
- Encyclopedia of addictions and addictive behaviors [REF 362.2903 G99]
- Encyclopedia of addictive drugs [REF 615.78 M61]
- Encyclopedia of drugs, alcohol, and addictive behavior [REF 362.2903 G99]
- Encyclopedia of multicultural psychology [online]
- Encyclopedia of substance abuse prevention, treatment, & recovery [online]
- Gale encyclopedia of medicine [online]
- Gale encyclopedia of mental health [online]
- International encyclopedia of the social sciences [online and in REF 300.3 In8 200]
- Praeger international collection on addictions [online]
Both print and electronic books can be found using the library catalog. The catalog page includes instructions on using the catalog, as well as links to other library catalogs. You can search by key words, by authors, or by subject headings.
You may have to do several searches to find books that might be pertinent to your subject.
To connect to e-book full text from the catalog, you will need your My Chemeketa user name and password as a login. To check out printed books, you may use your Chemeketa ID card. (See obtaining a borrower card.)
If you live in the Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library Service (CCRLS) district, you may also access the catalog online at your local public library. In addition to the books in the Chemeketa College Library, the catalog also contains the collections of the 17 public libraries located in the regional library district. You can request books through the catalog, and can pass your search through to Summit (see below).
Chemeketa students registered for credit may use Summit, the Orbis Cascade Alliance catalog, to request items from 36 member libraries in Oregon and Washington. Summit uses a search called WorldCat. Authorized users have access to all of the material in the Chemeketa Community College library, plus about 28 million items in Summit. Chemeketa users may request items using the barcode number from their ID card, and have them sent to Chemeketa, or they may set up a Visiting Patron account at another Alliance library.
- Summit: http://summit.worldcat.org/
- How to use Summit: http://library.chemeketa.edu/information/summit.php
- More Summit Help: http://www.oclc.org/support/help/navpatron/ApplicationHelp.htm
- Libraries & Map: http://orbiscascade.org/index/member-map
Article databases index journal articles, and may have the full text of those articles. There are quite a few databases that you might use to find journal articles relating to chemical dependency. A good starting place is Academic OneFile, which has a mix of journals in the social sciences and medicine.
Within Chemeketa's databases you may see articles marked with "Check for full text" and a 360 Link icon . Clicking on one of these links will lead you to the text of the article if Chemeketa has it available in another database. If Chemeketa doesn't have the text in another database, the information page that apears will have other options for finding the article, such as looking in the catalog for paper copies of the journal, or requesting an interlibrary loan.
- Academic OneFile
- Index to approximately 10,000 periodicals covering a wide variety of subject areas, including thousands of peer-reviewed titles. Many are in full text.
- Science Direct College Edition Health and Life Sciences Edition
- Chemeketa's subscription contains approximately one thousand journals on the Science Direct platform, including many in addiction and neuroscience. (Some are indexed in Academic OneFile and are accessible from it by the "Check for full text" link.) Journals accessible to Chemeketa users are marked with a green icon that has wording indicating that "You are entitled to access to the full text of this document."
- MEDLINE via PubMed
- MEDLINE is an enormous and powerful database indexing the world's biomedical literature, including psychiatric and neuroscience articles. Using one of the links on the library's web site to access MEDLINE automatically gives you access to custom filters. When you do a search, the results page will show a Filter your results list that lets you narrow your search by "Chemeketa Community College" or "Free full text." Clicking on the Chemeketa link shows only the results that the library has online or in paper.
- Project Cork Catalog
- Although this index does not include full text or link to Chemeketa's holdings, it is sometimes very helpful, because it is limited to substance abuse in all its aspects. Each article has an abstract (description). The user needs to check to see whether Chemeketa has the item, or whether interlibrary loan is required.
Journals are shelved in the periodicals section, alphabetically by title.
- Alcohol research & health
- Journal of studies on alcohol
- Journal of substance abuse treatment
- Journal of drug issues
Click on the links below to see the journals listed on Chemeketa's e-journals portal.
- 15 titles in Health & Biological Sciences: Psychiatry: Substance Abuse Disorders
- 29 titles in Social Sciences: Social Welfare & Social Work: Substance Abuse
These paper journals in Chemeketa's collection often have articles of importance relating to chemical dependency.
- American journal of orthopsychiatry
- American journal of psychiatry
- JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association)
- Lancet (paper ends 2009; 1995-present online)
- New England journal of medicine
- Psychiatric rehabilitation journal
- Psychiatric services
To comment or request help, please e-mail Reference or call 503.399.5231.
Address of this page: http://library.chemeketa.edu/instruction/handouts/addiction.php
Updated: 23 Nov. 2011